Founded in 2004,Culture Resource (Al Mawred Al Thaqafy) is a regional, non-profit organization that seeks to support artistic creativity in the Arab region and to encourage cultural exchange between intellectuals and artists within this region and abroad. The work of Culture Resource emanates from a deep appreciation of the renewable value of Arab cultural heritage, in all its ethnic, religious and linguistic diversity, and from a faith in the importance of generating a new Arab spirit of creativity as a key to liberating the imagination and stimulating progress. Culture Resource also believes that artistic and literary activities are a social necessity which demands the moral and material support on the part of all effective forces in society.
A vibrant, diverse and interconnected cultural life throughout the Arab region; a cultural environment that will enable individuals and groups to unleash the powers of their imagination, and to express their feelings and air their criticisms freely; a dynamic cultural renovation that will serve as a cornerstone for democracy and the development of productive, just and free societies.
- To help nurture a new generation of innovators in music, literature, theater and plastic and audiovisual arts in the Arab region.
- To stimulate dialogue among intellectuals and artists on cultural issues and their relationship with their social and political environment.
- To encourage the Arab business community to participate in the support of the independent cultural sector.
- To contribute to opening new horizons for cooperation among Arab creators, and between them and their peers in the developing world.
The goals of Culture Resource in 2012-2015:
- To provide assistance and encouragement to 80 Arab artists and creative writers so as to enable them to produce their works and present them to the public.
- To administratively and financially support 30 Arab cultural NGOs.
- To participate in the development of cultural policies in 6 Arab states.
- To raise the levels of knowledge and skills in cultural management among 50 individuals engaged in this field.
- To bring cultural services to a broader public, with a particular focus on Egypt.
- To familiarize the public in the Arab region with diverse creative experiences, especially in the countries of the east and south of this region.
- To encourage individuals and organizations in the private sector to support culture through the creation of domestic cultural support funds in Arab states.
- To organize three regional and international meetings in order to stimulate dialogue on important cultural issues among artists and intellectuals in the Arab region and with their peers in other countries and members of international institutions operating in the Arab region.
Culture Resource’s Guiding Principles:
- Respect for all forms of expression, regardless of religion, race, social class or language.
- Gender equality in all activities of the organization and in its various organizational and administrative structures.
- Solidarity with Arab artists who carry out their work under conditions of foreign occupation or military aggression.
- Attention to creative projects coming from economically and politically underprivileged communities.